Friday... made it.

 

Sorry lovely people (presuming that I'm not just writing into the void), this has been a bit of a week, and I've reached Friday evening in one piece, but rather lacking in anything of interest to say.

Apart from that that phrase 'a bit of a week' strikes me as both the sort of thing I say all the time (especially in times of Covid?), and fundamentally meaningless. So what do I mean by it? What has this week been a bit of?

A bit of work. Well, 35 hours to be precise. (That's full time for my company) Worked 8-4 with an hour(ish) for lunch each day. A lot of that was very tedious and repetitive scheduling, but today I think I might nearly have finished writing the macro to turn a form into a useful document for my team. If anyone uses it.

A bit of knitting. Otto now has two legs. That's progress, and he does seem to be on track to be ready to be posted by the end of the month.

A bit of quilting. I now have 4 full-size lion panels completed and ready to be joined, backed and quilted over this weekend. Small progress, but I was waiting for a wadding delivery that has now arrived, so momentum should build again, I hope.

A bit of training. I'm volunteering with Action Tutoring through my workplace community investment scheme, and have had my initial training session and security checks this week.

A bit of reading. For some reason I've started the runner-up in my book-club's latest vote for December's session, and that means that I have two books to read by the beginning of December. Not wise.

A bit of singing - one of the reasons that Friday nights feel harder work right now is that I've started singing Christmas songs with my church choir in preparation for a potential 'distant' carol service. Rehearsals over Zoom and hearing rather more of oneself than one likes are a great break from the 'working week', but the race to have bedtime sorted? Less straightforward.

A bit of yoga. I decided that writing and yoga were my focuses for this month (more on that in a proper post next week. And though it makes me sound like a yummy mummy wannabe, it's probably keeping me together! I'm re-doing Home from Yoga with Adriene, and 20-25 minutes of calm and physical work at the end (very end) of the day is proving really helpful. Again.

Looking through this list (which, if I'm looking for completeness, doesn't include nursery pickup, laundry, cooking dinner every night, or other household tasks), I suspect I see where the 'bit of a week' feeling is coming from. I had promised myself I would cut back on the number of things I was doing, to avoid weekends that are a complete write-off because I'm too tired to do anything other than cook, parent, and sleep. So yes, I'm not quite half-way through November, and feeling a little squeezed.

But here's the weekend. A little more time to take a moment to breathe, to enjoy the autumn, spend time with my family, and to create objects with love. See you on the other side!

Comments

Popular Posts