I have a Plan - and it involves you!

After my vague promises about a Mind Crafternoon, I have been putting some time into thinking about the logistics of a virtual event that can be as welcoming as possible, and I have suggestions in relation to two dates.

 

 

'Christmas' Crafternoon

From 2pm to 5pm (GMT) on the 12 December, I will host a virtual Crafternoon for anyone who is happy to email me (ruthcrafts@ruthv.co.uk) by Friday 4 December with their email and postal addresses.

The afternoon will be hosted on Jitsi, a virtual meeting platform that has worked well for me in the past. I will email participants with some recipes, crafting information and notions lists. I will post participants in the UK a small envelope of additional materials.

You are welcome to just join for the chat, but encouraged to participate with the crafting - this will be easy and paper-craft focussed. 

If you'd rather bring your own project to work on, that's also fine. You may just have to listen to me trying to instruct others in making things!

 

'Twelve Days' Crafternoon

On Monday 28 December, I will host a second, similarly virtual Crafternoon. This will be a more relaxed affair, as befits the season. Everyone is welcome, but for this one, please bring your own project - be it a clay-modelling kit you received for Christmas or a long-languishing work-in-progress. Surrounding yourself with things that make you happy is encouraged - I'll be making sure I have cake, if not mulled wine and mince pies too - but otherwise, consider this a gentle, friendly moment for you in the midst of whatever is going on. Again, please just email me to let me know that you would like to receive the event link.


The awkward bit

As well as providing an environment for us to get together, craft and chat, I also intend that this will raise some funds for Mind. Whatever the glib social media folks say, mental health really does matter, and in the dark days of winter, in a pandemic... it matters more than ever that we challenge the stigma of mental illness, that we recognise when we need help, and that we fund that help in the community because the government certainly isn't doing so.

I know many of us are feeling the pinch right now, but if you can, please do donate at my Just Giving page.

Comments

Popular Posts