Shall we talk about some knitting?

It's strange that this sort of post, which used to be pretty much all I posted here, seems the most difficult to start after such a long hiatus. Why would you care what I've been knitting? There's been a lot, and not much at all... Finished objects have been seen, but I am fairly sure that some of the WIPs have been WIPs since before I stopped thinking about my blog as a space to share regularly.

So what are the highlights? I knit a Carbeth Swan while I was pregnant, and it's just starting to be cold enough to bring it out of the wardrobe and see if it works on the post-baby body - this year the 'office' heating is much more conducive to hand-knits!


I have since knit not one, but two, fingering weight cardigans for myself - in part because I found that breastfeeding ruled out jumpers, and in part because I find a light cardigan more versatile to actually wear. That doesn't of course mean that I've finished the Earnest Cardigan I started 3 years ago... that's still waiting to split for the sleeves and find it's rhythm.

Socks? There are always socks. Currently, I think only three on the needles: 1 pair of a knit and purl pattern in Owl About Yarn's Harvest Sock; 1 pair of a cabled-panel sock for the OH in Countess Ablaze's Rust; and 1 pair of 'Soctober' cabled socks in a Forest yarn from Starry

And shawls? Of course. I've not finished one for a while, but I'm working on a design for a two-colour fingering weight large shawl, and it's stalled while I take the time to count stitches.

Oh, and since the baby is now more of a toddler, of course there are also still blankets on the needles. Because why would I ever finish them?

And toys. Infrequent, but important, and fun.

Is there a lesson to be learned from this? An argument to convince you of? No, just a wander through some creative projects, finding that my patterns of behaviour remain pretty much the same. I can finish a project, but I can start far more, and far more frequently. I will still focus better on complex patterns than on plain stocking stitch, though my concentration span and eyesight are both victims to an insufficiency of sleep. And I'll still - always - use the need for 5 minutes concentration on a project as an excuse to cast something else on.

Comments

Popular Posts