Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Workshop update

Just to let you know that the 'Knit a Mini Sock in a Morning' workshop has been postponed until the 3rd December - again, 10am-1pm on the Saturday.


In case you were wondering, the mini sock in question would look something like this:


The penny on the left is included for scale, and the sock on the right is the Child's sock, which, along with a plain Adult sock, will be provided to students on the day.

Monday, 14 November 2011

My first workshop

If you happen to be in or near Malvern this Saturday morning, and would like to learn to knit socks, please do call The Knitting Parlour!

Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Followed by some sewing

I've not just been knitting, though I have got more to show you. A few weeks ago Theresa Furey, a friend and photographer, got in touch to ask if I might be interested in sewing some birds to help with marketing at a vintage bridal fair. Sounded lovely, so she bought some fabric, and I got stitching. As usual, I failed to take any 'in progress' shots, but she very kindly sent me some pictures of her booth on the day and said I could share them, so here's a wide and general idea:
(If you look carefully, you can see a little bit of the bunting I made for her too :) I love the styling of the whole booth - Theresa told me some of her plans, and I'm very very impressed with how they all came together! And here's a close-up of one of my birds (all 120 were complete individuals, and this one definitely has more of a head crest than some :)

Friday, 4 November 2011

FO Friday

Time for some knitting! This is a project I started on my way to my hen party in Manchester (thanks Maz!) on 2nd July, having been too busy on the 1st to begin the July portion of the Almanac knitalong. I did (madly) think that I might get it finished in order for it to qualify for the Knitgirllls' Stash Dash, but the Big Blue Blob of Doom (as it came to be referred to) soon grew to a size at which rows became rather long, and rather slow to complete.

It's knit from 100g Old Maiden Aunt merino/silk laceweight in the moody colourway that I bought at the first Ravelry day in Coventry, and then looked at for two years before winding it into a skein and casting on.


The pattern is essentially EZ's July Pi, with my own insertions of lace patterns. For those who are interested, I worked the very centre exactly according to EZ's instructions, inserting the Flower motifs (from a stole pattern in Victorian Lace Today) into the 72st section. After the next increase round (to 144 sts) I had to do a little maths, knitting two rounds plain, and one round of [*K47, Kfb, repeat from *] to end up with 147 sts so that I could work 5 repeats of the Gull Lace pattern used in the February Baby Sweater, followed by another 2 rounds plain, and the increase to 294 sts. I then knit 3 rounds plain, and decreased 4 sts regularly around the 4th round to end up with 290 sts, so that I could work 5 repeats of a Horseshoe lace pattern from A Gathering of Lace, increase 4 sts regularly around the next round, and knit 4 rounds plain. Time for another increase round, to 576 sts, and an immediate shift to a diamond lace pattern that I altered from one found in Knitted Lace of Estonia, which I repeated 3 1/2 times (96 rounds), until I reached the point for the next (and final) increase round. Increase round worked, I knit 1 round plain, and cast off (on a larger needle to try to ensure stretchiness of cast-off edge).

Despite initial suggestions that it might be a shower cap, it now measures 135cm across. Yay!