An Accounting

It's the last day of the month, and so time to reflect - on this month of blogging, of trying this whole 'fixed priorities = progress towards goals' malarkey....

Writing: a blog post every weekday

So where are we? This is post 19 of a possible 21 weekdays in November. I missed 2, both in the first half of the month. I remember one being a night where I was just too tired to sit at a computer for another hour, but the other one had completely escaped me. In some ways, I think it has taken on a bit of momentum; in others, I know I'm not adhering to a coherent 'style' or type of content, and I do sometimes wonder if I've done anything I can write about. A couple of things did make it easier - finding a regular moment to do it, and setting up a folder on my phone that syncs to my laptop, so that I can transfer photos from one to the other easily.


What I am pleased to find is a space where I can think things out. I used to be a note-taker, a list-maker, a scribbler in corners, and at some point that stopped, whether because my current work doesn't demand that sort of thinking, or because I spend all my time in front of a computer, and without a pen to hand, I don't know. What I do know is that without that habit (and with the nibbling away at the little slivers of time that I have), I haven't had a place to think through things - be they ideas, a vague notion, or feelings. 

Putting aside 30-60 minutes a day without distractions (usually) to spell something out has been valuable, and feels a bit like stretching a muscle I don't use enough. I feel like having this and similar spaces gives me room to let ideas grow in - and certainly over the last few weeks I've been able to pull together a few thoughts from the ether into actions that will hopefully progress further soon.

One example of this is the Crafternoons - from a vague inkling that I'd like to do something to feel the connections of crafting, and that I'd like to do some fundraising for Mind this year - to a proposed two events, and a very lovely response! Thank you so much for showing me that I can put an idea out in the world and other people might like it.

So while I won't be focussing on writing in December, I will not be going away completely.  This habit has proven its worth, and while I'm going to be busily crafting away over the next few weeks, I'll be back here to show them off every so often!

Yoga: a 30 day yoga journey in 30 days (Home)

Yoga has certainly been the 'weaker' of this month's goals (tonight will be night 21 of a 30 day programme), and that's mostly because of one thing. I was doing really well with it as a late-night activity... and then my son went into what I'm hoping is still a sleep-regression / brain development / teething patch, and has gone from sleeping 8-7 to being awake sometimes for an hour in the wee small hours... sometimes for 3 from 9 or 10pm. If I've not done the yoga before he wakes up? I've no chance. 

And then I've let myself get lazy on the weekends, because I'm tired. What I know is that carving out time is vital, and discipline has to be part of my setup for my next goals - especially for the ones that can be hard to start, however much they help once they're going.

What's next? December's plans

I think I came to a decision about these around two weeks ago, and it still seems like a sensible idea. December will, no matter what else I do, be centred around Christmas, and for me, Christmas means two things: crafting, and music. Yes, food is also a key player... and some of the crafting will be baking, but crafts and music it is. So, here they are:

1. Practice music every weekday - be that choir rehearsal, a service, or piano practice so that I can play some easy carols in time for the holidays.


2. Make something, or progress with the making of something, every day. This one shouldn't be hard to achieve (the 'to be made before last posting dates' list is long), but I'd like to complete it in the spirit of Christmas magic and generosity, and combine it with some family time so that Pumpkin also grows up knowing that we enjoy making things for those we love.

I'm hoping that making these my priorities for the next month will allow me to meet deadlines I already have, do the things I know I need to do, but also enjoy them, and by starting out saying 'making and music are what matters to me this month', I can make time for them, rather than just trying to fit them in in the corners.

Comments

Popular Posts